Sunday, July 28, 2013

Living Colour @ The Kessler, 7.27.2013

Blindingly great show. They kicked open the doors with Robert Johnson's "Preachin' Blues" (a stroke of genius), played the whole Vivid album front-to-back, and encored with a couple from Time's Up plus JB's "Sex Machine" with Corey Glover traversing the balcony with his cordless mic. Wall-to-wall fiery musicianship, songs that still signify, and unexpected visual comedy from Corey (looking like a middle-aged Dead End Kid) and Vernon Reid (dressed in clashing checks and plaid). For me, the high points were Corey's taking it to church on "Open Letter To A Landlord," Vernon's powerfully emotive chromatic whirlwind solos, and the deep, deep pocket Will Calhoun made with hip-hop originator Doug Wimbish (who used an octave pedal and metal slide to play crazy guitar-like solo things, and did an homage to Hendrix at the very end). Total wish fulfillment. I'll be surprised if I see a better band this year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Erin said...

I so appreciate their music - great that you got to see them!
-Erin

2:03 PM  
Blogger MrRags said...

Nice job describing the show. Personally, I was rendered speechless. I'm glad someone put into words what I heard, saw, and felt. I pray they come to the Kessler in two years and play Time's Up !!!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home