Friday, December 11, 2009

12.11.2009, ftw

last night i used a neti pot for the first time (the saline stung like a motherfucker; have to use only half a packet next time like the, um, instructions said to) and proceeded to sleep for almost 12 hours. had to leave work early yesterday due to an incipient headache. came home and took tramadol, which knocked me out for three hours. determined to make it through work today, although it seems that all that stuff does is make me sleep, and i'm foregoing coffee today as it's a vasoconstrictor.

my sweetie the scientist reckons my headaches are due to sinus congestion, which tracks with what i know about migraines being caused by blood flow increasing through constricted vessels. if my sinuses are swollen, that might impede the flow of blood leaving the brain; thus, headache. the butterbur, which is a vasodilator, helped, but not enough. so i'm taking sinus meds, have tried a sinus spray and the neti pot. the p.a. i saw the other day seemed more concerned with treating symptoms than addressing causes, which reminded me of the m.d. that put my oldest daughter on amytriplene when she was in high school, which made her a zombie for like six months, when in reality it now seems she was just dehydrated from drinking no water and five cokes a day. duh.

hoping i can make it through the big rawk show at lola's 6th tonight, although i'm not sure i'll be drinking any beers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Grubbermeister said...

Hopefully it's just sinus congestion causing the migraines. Here's to a better day!

12:16 PM  
Blogger andrew m. said...

feel better.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Oh yeah! That reminds me about my mom's migraines once again. Once she made a conscious effort to drink water, they pretty much vanished. Stay hydrated!

...And Neti pots are the bomb. Weird concept but they've always made me feel better when I had sinus stuff.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home