Thursday, August 21, 2008

belle mead, nj, 8.21.2008

spent a coupla hrs with each of my folks again yesterday. ma wasn't as talkative as the day before. it's almost as if the novelty of my being here as worn off already. it was cooler outside than the day before, so we sat outside in a courtyard, watching birds and planes flying overhead, and a lady who walks around kicking all the plants.

stopped at my sister's fave pizza joint enroute to see my dad. had a coupla slices and listened to a south brunswick cop talking about some guy he'd arrested, all record of whose bust (including the dispatch call) had disappeared. the pie tasted bland to me. surprising, since i'm not smoking at all this trip.

taking my dad outside in the wheelchair required a 20 minute ordeal of preparation. i was surprised at how tired simple actions make him. in the event, he was only in the chair for about five minutes, outside for maybe 30 seconds. it's interesting that neither of my parents really likes being outdoors. also that even in his calmer state, he still has the capacity to generate some vitriol and spleen about my mom. it's interesting to observe what persists in a disintegrating personality.

went home back to my sister's, played gtr for an hour (she -- a fahey fan -- seems to have an inordinately high opinion of the three or four solo fingerstyle acoustic pieces i can play), read some of joyce's dubliners and took a nap. my niece cooked dinner (chicken with peanut sauce, rice and snow peas) while her parents 'n' i talked about her and her sisters.

sat doing 'puter bullshit with my sis while my brother-in-law watched olympics. chatted with my sweetie online and found z-grade youtube vid of the blues project (new york's "jewish beatles," a fave from my snotnose yrs) and jeff beck (gtr hero of my yoof and loudest concert i've ever been to ca. '76).









altho i never watch tv at home (and don't miss it), i always wind up watching some bullshit when i stay at other ppl's houses or in hotels. documentaries, police procedurals, the other night a weird indie flick about a kid who eats paint and his big brother on the run from crazy psycho uncle. last night i watched the original a star is born until i realized how unappealing i find both judy garland and james mason.

my sis doesn't ordinarily drink coffee, so she makes it like trucker speed. time for one more cup before i head out to see the folks again. maybe i'll look for a diner today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home