Monday, April 28, 2008

further poetschke thoughts on improvisation

an example to prt. 2

in the previous letter to you i had mentioned how being aware of your thoughts while performing can lead to other avenues of creativity. many times these thoughts will present a theme. as an example i found that my thoughts tend to lean towards "what to play" and "will this be what needs to be played". i can't tell you how much wasted time i spent with these distractions while the infinity talented rhythm section was laying down an amazing background.

the theme i found was that i was too preoccupied with wanting to "play the right thing". put on another level my ego was simply not wanting to get "hurt" while all the time disguising the issue as an ignorance to "knowing" what to play. this fear was based on the fact that i just wanted to "play something cool" that my band mates and the audience (when there was one present) would like. this brought me to the realization that a change in my relationship with my band mates and the audience needed to take place. i needed to spend more energy listening to them.

since this affliction happened more with audiences, i started with them. when someone coughed, or laughed, or when the sound of breaking glass came from behind the bar i responded to it through my music. i was so focused on listening that my thoughts, or even the need for them, began to dissipate, and i found myself playing new musical ideas and contributing to the music more often. this eventually developed into an awareness of the emotional state of everyone in the room and responding. however, this took over a decade to realize.

with my band mates it evolved into a "knowing" that these guys would always be there for me musically and that i was totally free to try anything and go anywhere and that my ego need not be burdened with the responsibility of "letting them down" with what i played. this sense of security allowed me to explore and respond with infinite freedom. the creative gain from this can't be put into words by me.

this was one of my personal examples. everyone will have their own, but i hope you can see how this practice can lead you in a new direction in your music and open a "space" for creativity.

as always your insights are greatly invited.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home