Monday, August 27, 2007

"there's a riot goin' on"

listening today to sly stone's stoned-funk masterpiece from back when people still didn't mind struggling with challenging music (why, creem reviewed it no less than _three_ times!), i realized that this one alb inspahrd as much of the music i dig (including a lot of what stevie wonder was up to on talking book and innervisions a year or two later, as well as what george clinton and prince were doing well into the '80s) as, say, jimi's did (wayne kramer and ron asheton, as well as devotion-era mclaughlin, sonny sharrock, and eddie hazel). which reinforces my conviction that anybody's musical taste can be reduced to half a dozen key rekkids. combined with recent reminders of my distaste for "classic rock" and my indifference to the fact that there's a van halen reunion, it's a pert interesting (to me, at least) glimpse into the nature of my own personal prejudices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home