Saturday, May 26, 2007

dennis gonzalez

wow, talk about yr synchronicities. i just popped yells at eels' ceedee pictogram in the player, opened my email, and found this missive from muso/educator dennis gonzalez:

Dear Friends, Family, and Colleagues,

It is with a bit of sadness, and enthusiasm for the future, that I announce the end of my association with North Dallas High School after 30 years of service, and the end of the North Dallas High School Mariachi/Estudiantina, as of May 25, 2007, after its run of almost 40 years.

Dina Townsend, principal at NDHS, has released me from my duties - something that I, and a bunch of dedicated students, fought for three years (remember the massive January 2005 walkout?).

But the bright spot in all this is that Mary Davies, principal at Spence Middle Learning Center and TAG Academy has hired me to teach Guitar Ensemble, Estudiantina, and Latin Jazz Studies. It's great to have an opportunity to start anew.

In the meantime, please take a look at the North Dallas High School Estudiantina Website which I began working on several months ago. There is so much information; so many memories, so many images, and tons of videos out there somewhere from the almost-40 years of the Mariachi/Estudiantina's existence, that I invite e-mails, comments, pictures, videos, memories, and stories to NDHSEstudiantina@aol.com. Or you can just hit the reply button.

Enjoy the website, and keep up with all my shenanigans at DENNIS GONZALEZ JAZZ NEWS.

Peace and Light!
Dennis Gonzalez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home