Thursday, January 11, 2007

patti smith at 60

and this:

greetings

The last ten days or so I have been the lucky
recipient of a lot of well wishing. For my 60th
birthday, New Years and for being an inductee
into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2007.

I have to say it has been really nice
greeting the dawn picking the same old clothes
and used up socks off the floor and stumbling into the world
in search of coffee, encountering friends, neighbors
and passerby all with a kind and encouraging word.
So I want to thank everybody as well as send out a few
encouraging words myself. A new year begins and it
gives us an opportunity to reassess ourselves, physically,
emotionally and spiritually. There is no reason at all
why each of can't take stock of ourselves and better
our situation. For instance just simple things like
eliminating fast foods, soft drinks and excessive salt
is a start. Drinking more water. Getting one's teeth cleaned.
Saying a simple thank you or grace before eating.
Going through our possessions and letting go of what
we really don't want or need. If one has vices and can't
give them up, just cut down.

Start with the small things and as you feel better about
accomplishing them, add more challenging things. It's
an elemental concept but sound. Sometimes we ask
so much of ourselves that we feel defeated before we begin.
Don't defeat yourself. We are lucky to be alive. I always
think of the Jimi Hendrix line "Hooray I wake from yesterday".
Just being alive is a gift. We can build on that thought
every day.

Well, happy new year. And thanks everybody. I am going to
take my own advice and change my socks.
all good wishes.

patti smith

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home