Thursday, November 23, 2006

tom waits

i got all the way through the jam last night
without smoking a single cigarette
altho this morning i felt
like i'd smoked a whole pack
(gotta love the air in bars).

thinking today about tom waits
(another ex-whiskey drinker);
my wife says her life was saved
her last yr of high school in chi-town 'burbs
by a teacher who gave her marlboros and played her waits songs.

back in '74, me and my buddy michael (r.i.p.)
were sitting in kenny's castaways down in the village
when waits walks in. my buddy sees him and yells,
"hey, look ... it's _tom waits_!"
and waits freaks and runs out of the place.

smooth fucking move, pal.

1 Comments:

Blogger andrew m. said...

thinking 'bout mr. waits too... a concert of his on the auto radio helped me through my final big drive of the day last eve.

hoping to get to kenny's castways in late dec as some friends have a gig there. wonder if it's still the same as you remember it?

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home