Tuesday, May 16, 2006

cats 'n' dogs

listening to the great tyrant playing the other night, i was searching for a simile that would encompass tommy atkins' fervid bass ostinatos, jon teague's powerful-but-precise percussion-pummeling, 'n' daron beck's distorted keybs 'n' psychodramatic voxxx. except for the last 'un, the answer came in the mail next day, when a copy of king crimson's red i found online arrived at mi casa. i'm unable to top the best description i've heard of this band -- "a vampire backed by two monks" -- so i'll just say that they had a great crowd for a sunday night, and i appreciate the humor in the "i'm so gothic, i'm dead" sticker on one of daron's keyboards.

had prac for the upcoming (black dog, thursday, 10:30pm) stoogeaphilia show last night, with the added goodness of steffin ratliff (bindle, pablo and the hemphill 7) on gtr. sounded big 'n' dangerous with two gtrs, and afterwards, we were all real o mind. wish i could fast-forward to thursday night.

read in the paper the other day that on this date 40 yrs ago, both the beach boys' pet sounds and bob dylan's blonde on blonde were released, so i'm listening to pet sounds (first rekkid i play in any house i move into) now while my sweetie sleeps, wondering whether it's really true that they just don't make megalomaniac geniuses like they usedta, or maybe it's just that the mass comms of our time have changed the scale 'n' scope of things so much that it's impossible for a rock rekkid to have the kind of global 'n' enduring impact that those two did. also digging the realization that all my heroes today are ppl i know or knew.

and this w-e, i'm looking fwd to possibly seeing all three of my dtrs and my granddtr for the first time in awhile. life is good.

2 Comments:

Blogger La Teatrista said...

well I had my first fulll dose of death metal. I had never given it enough of a chance - I tried....I tried. Billy taught me how to do the headbang scowl, the zombied "I am rocking in my darkness" gaze. I guess I never was ever really bitter or angry long enough to let it become into a vampire's shadow. AT least I tried to connect but I couldn't take my self seriously enough to hear anything more than drone or see anything past my bangs.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shimmy!!! where the heck you been hiding?

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home